Find the best local food and gifts at the Champaign-Urbana Winter Farmers Market
Go the “extra mile” for your Valentine this year and support local with your purchases. Looking for great ideas to woo and wow your love? Here is a sneak peak into our Valentine’s weekend “playbook”…
- Take a beautiful drive to Lincoln Square Mall for the C-U Winter Farmers Market.
- Enjoy a seasonal cronut from Central IL Bakehouse. This month’s flavors are Chocolate Covered Cherry and Strawberry Cream! Don’t forget to grab a baguette Bonus: wave to Barbie!
- Koss Family Farms can be a popular booth selling a hot commodity – Lettuce! – so stopping there early to secure a fresh, sweet locally grown salad is one of our first stops.
- Swing by Allison Centennial Farm’s stand for amazing $5 pasture raised eggs and decide between their thick cut bacon or amazing breakfast sausage.
- Pick out a vibrant bouquet of locally grown (in February?!) tulips from Illinois Willows.
- Mandatory stop by Tati’s Bakery – hard decision between Argentinian Medialunas, Venezuelan Pan Andino, or the fluffiest of honey wheat sandwich bread. (Ask the owner Orlando for advice! He’s lovely!)
- Go classic with a thick steak from Triple S Farms.
- Don’t forget the seasoning! Alexander’s Primetime Seasonings ‘n Rubs has ALL the options!
- We don’t exactly live local to oysters but Oyster Mushrooms Rockefeller makes for a pretty impressive local “seafood” option – find these “oysters” at Flyaway Family Farms, Middlefork Mushroom Co., and Diamond’s Homestead. Bonus: consider giving the gift of an oyster mushroom “houseplant” (growkit) from Luna Mushroom Co.
- The lovely ladies at Niece’s Pieces Brownies have the last crucial food component: CHOCOLATE! (In our favorite form, brownies!)
- Set a budget and let your loved one pick out a gift – there are so many amazing options at the market! Candles, decor, art, soap, skincare, food …. Make sure you plan to give them plenty of time to decide!
- Last stop: Common Ground Food Coop — We love this amazing store packed full of even more locally grown & made goodies. Finishing out our shopping: some fresh local veggies to top our salad + an amazing organic salad dressing, a selection of cheeses, fruit & a jam to add a fresh element to our brunch in bed plans (and nibbling options between brunch & dinner), and the alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks to match your date’s tastes!
- Brunch in Bed – toast (or medialuna!), eggs to your love’s order, sausage (or bacon!), fresh cheese, fruit & local jam (don’t forget the beautiful tulips!).
- A local experience – find something fun to do with your loves!
- Dinner – Pasture-Raised Steak, Oyster Mushrooms Rockefeller, Slice of Baguette, Fresh Winter Salad, with local drink options. (Don’t forget to bring the tulips back for a second appearance!)
- Dessert – Warmed Brownies.