Name: John Williams
Phone: (262) 370-5405
Job location: Urbana, Illinois
Business name: Sola Gratia Farm
Job/volunteer description: NOW HIRING: Farmers Market Crew
Location: Urbana, Illinois
Start date: Mid-April 2024
Season: Year-round with fewer hours late fall through early spring. Possible market shifts on Tuesday afternoons, Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings.
Hourly wage: The starting wage is $14/hr, with 6-14 hours available weekly. The right candidate may be able to work additional hours at an increased wage with strong work performance and desire to take on more responsibility. Along with financial compensation, staff has access to fresh produce through the season.
We seek Farmers Market staff members for our 20+ acre not-for-profit community vegetable farm. Experience with food safety, selling, postharvest handling and customer service is desired. Preference is given to candidates who have expertise and experience working at comparable farm operations and/or farmers markets. Also important is the ability to work effectively with multiple managers, managing staff and volunteers, maintaining a focus on the farm mission and achieving retail and food donation goals.
● Packing and unpacking market truck including produce and supplies;
● Set up and take down of farmers market stand;
● Customer service and sales;
● Responsible management of cash and credit card sales;
● Marketing of SGF events, CSA program and additional sales as needed;
● Coordination of donated produce as needed;
● Adherence to food safety protocols; and
● Record keeping.
● Excellent customer service with customers of a variety of backgrounds;
● Be a respectful and responsible public-facing representative of the farm;
● Be able to clearly articulate the farm’s mission and the importance of our customers;
● Able to regularly lift 20-30 lbs and occasionally lift 40 lbs;
● Able to work outdoors, standing, in varied conditions including rain, heat, cold and wind.
SOLA GRATIA FARM:
Sola Gratia Farm is unique in many ways. We are a community mission-based farm started by St. Matthew Lutheran Church, dedicated to producing locally-grown, high-quality produce following organic practices. The farm is committed to helping those who lack adequate food resources by donating at least ten percent of our product to support regional hunger programs, such as Eastern Illinois Foodbank and Daily Bread Soup Kitchen. We grow a wide range of produce to support our 150 member Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, four farmers markets and several retail and wholesale clients. We operate a robust volunteer program and have many established and active community partnerships. The Farm promotes healthy lifestyles and community building through volunteering and service, special events and outreach and education programs.
More information at www.solagratiacsa.com
Send cover letter and resume to Traci Barkley, Sola Gratia Farm, 2200 S. Philo Rd., Urbana, IL 61802 or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Early applications encouraged. Interviews will be scheduled starting February 1, 2024.