Name: Marcia Caton Campbell
Phone: (608) 240-0409
Job location: Madison, Wisconsin
Business name: Rooted
Job/volunteer description: POSITION TYPE: Full-time/Exempt
START DATE: April 1, 2023
BENEFITS: 30 days paid time off plus 10 paid holidays annually; flexible, family-friendly schedule; medical, dental, and vision insurance, with Rooted covering 75% of the costs of the insurance package; 401k retirement plan; opportunities for professional development; cell phone reimbursement
The Marketing and Communications Manager coordinates aspects of Rooted’s marketing, communications, and development activities as directed by the Development Director and the Executive Leadership Team (ELT). The Marketing and Communications Manager is an important part of our communications and development team and is responsible for sharing about Rooted’s work and events and helping to secure the resources to sustain our mission.
SPECIFIC DUITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
As a nonprofit, Rooted is dependent on a diversified and successful fundraising plan. The Marketing and Communications Manager holds responsibility for accurate and timely coordination of the organization’s fundraising and development database, and will work closely with the Development Director and the ELT to present a strong, positive image of Rooted programs, products, and services to relevant stakeholders.
The Marketing and Communications Manager’s job responsibilities are as follows:
Community and Public Relations – 50%
– Assist Development Director/ELT with the creation and distribution of outreach materials (e.g., e-newsletter, displays, brochures, flyers, articles, press releases, website, and background materials).
– Work with program staff to create and deliver regular organization newsletters.
– Assist with social media campaigns to promote programs, events, and donor giving, including scheduling content across the organization and designing graphics for social media.
– Coordinate periodic articles and advertisements for other publications (e.g., Northside News, Edible Madison).
Fundraising and Donor Relations – 40%
– Take the lead on all aspects of preparing for and coordinating direct mail/online fundraising efforts (e.g., annual appeal, The Big Share).
– Produce fundraising reports, lists, and mailings.
– Prepare the organization’s annual report in consultation with the Development Director and the Deputy Director of Operations.
– Enter data into the donor database (Little Green Light) and generate thank you letters in a timely fashion.
– Maintain an accurate and timely electronic record of current and former donors.
Administrative and Additional Responsibilities – 10%
– Attend staff, committee, and other relevant meetings as necessary.
– Assist with document review and editing.
– Perform additional tasks as directed by the Development Director/ELT.
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES
– Experience in nonprofit marketing and/or communications desired.
– Strong communication skills, including public speaking and writing.
– Experience working with people of diverse backgrounds and ages, including children and the elderly.
– Experience with social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Instagram).
– Experience with MailChimp, WordPress, and Canva.
– Experience with donor management software, especially Little Green Light (preferred, but not required).
– Experience in the areas of gardening, organic agriculture, and natural areas restoration is considered a plus.
– Occasional weekend and evening hours may be required.
– An ability to speak multiple languages is considered a plus (e.g., Spanish, HMoob).
– A criminal history background check will be conducted on the final candidate prior to beginning employment. A criminal background will not automatically eliminate you from consideration.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYEER
Rooted is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We strongly encourage applications from diverse applicants of all ages. Rooted is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply directly through BambooHR or mail your cover letter and resume to:
Rooted, c/o Marcia Caton Campbell, 2702 International Lane, Suite 200, Madison, WI
Review of applications will begin in early March and continue until the position is filled.
Salary: $38,000-42,000 annual salary based on experience