Name: John Williams
Phone: (262) 370-5405
Job location: Urbana, Illinois
Business name: Sola Gratia Farm
Job/volunteer description: NOW HIRING: Part-time Groundskeeper/Mechanic
Location: Urbana, Illinois
Start date: Late May to early June
Season: May-November, with fewer hours at beginning and end of season. Limited hours may be available December through April.
Hourly wage: The starting wage is $14-16 per hour, with 10-15 hours a week available depending on experience. Along with financial compensation, crew has access to fresh produce throughout the season.
We seek a part-time maintenance crew member for our not-for-profit community vegetable farm.
● Work with the Farm Manager to maintain farm equipment throughout the season, including regular oil changes, lubrication, sharpening tools, and checking other pieces of farm equipment;
● Work with Farm Manager and other members of the farm leadership team to address breakdowns and safety concerns with equipment;
● Maintain the non-crop grounds of the farm including use of zero turn mower, string trimmer and
potentially tractor mounted mower;
● Work with other members of the team to maintain non-crop grounds when support is needed;
● Maintain a record of service on equipment;
● Work with Farm Manager to maintain supplies in the workshop area;
● Previous experience maintaining equipment is preferred, but training available for right candidate;
● Previous experience operating string trimmers, zero turn mowers and tractors is preferred, but training available for right candidate;
● Able to be thorough and accurate in completing tasks;
● Able to shift tasks as needed throughout the day as other priorities arise;
● Able to often work alone, but occasionally interface and work with other members of the team;
● Able to maintain a positive attitude and work-ethic during difficult or monotonous tasks;
● Able to work in varied environments, including rain, snow, heat, cold and wind;
● Able to regularly lift 20-30 lbs and occasionally lift 40 lbs;
● Able to regularly work in different positions throughout the day on varied surfaces, but often in one position for an extended period of time.
This position could be combined with other part-time positions to increase hours if interested. Please state interest in other roles when applying.
SOLA GRATIA FARM:
Sola Gratia Farm is unique in many ways. We are a community mission-based farm started by St. Matthew Lutheran Church, dedicated to producing locally-grown, high-quality produce following organic practices. The farm is committed to helping those who lack adequate food resources by donating at least ten percent of our product to support regional hunger programs, such as Eastern Illinois Foodbank and Daily Bread Soup Kitchen. We grow a wide range of produce to support our 200 member Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, two farmers markets and several retail and wholesale clients. We operate a robust volunteer program and have many established and active community partnerships. The Farm promotes healthy lifestyles and community building through volunteering and service, special events and outreach and education programs.
More information at www.solagratiacsa.com
Send cover letter and resume to Traci Barkley, Sola Gratia Farm, 2200 S. Philo Rd., Urbana, IL 61802 or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Early applications encouraged. Interviews will be scheduled starting February 1, 2024