Name: Lori Birckhead
Job location: Joelton, Tennessee
Business name: By Faith Farm
Job/volunteer description: By Faith Farm is seeking a passionate, full-time farmer with a desire to serve others to join our non-profit mission!
By Faith Farm’s food project is a 501c3 non-profit partnering with Second Harvest of Middle Tennessee to produce and distribute nutrient-dense food, grown chemical-free, to the needy. Across our 97-acres, the farm also has several agritourism operations including a farm-stay apartment, event space in a beautiful barn, and a “You-Pick” flower garden. All of which all help to sustain the mission of increasing access to fresh produce to those in need in Middle Tennessee.
Our farmer will:
• Oversee planning, field preparation, planting, and harvest of 2-acre fruit & vegetable garden for donation using regenerative farming practices.
• Oversee general farm maintenance, equipment maintenance, and other property management tasks.
• Oversee ½ acre “You-Pick Flower” garden (training available with flower consultant).
• Coordinate and oversee volunteers and projects with help of volunteer coordinator.
• Communicate issues that require attention to the farm owner and BOD by maintaining and sending a list regularly.
• Evaluate soil health and implement fertility programs (compost tea and biodynamic prep applications, annual manure compost application, cover crop rotations).
• Assist in long-term beautification projects around agritourism sites on the farm.
You will be a good fit if you…
• Love the land!
• Have a heart for people!
• Have a knowledge of regenerative, chemical-free farming practices.
• Have at least one season in a management position or multiple seasons as a field worker on a commercial vegetable farm. (Significant experience in subsistence farming/home gardening setting may be considered on a case-by case-basis).
• Able to communicate openly, honestly, and clearly with people inside and outside of By Faith Farms.
• Can bend, kneel, squat, stand.
• Can lift up to 50lbs repeatedly.
• Have a strong ethical compass.
• An annual salary commensurate with experience.
• Access to fresh produce.
• Access to on-farm recreation including hiking, fishing, ponds, and waterfall.
• Opportunity for on-farm living quarters with reduced rent.
• Partnership opportunities to explore other farming ventures utilizing existing farm acreage, two 2,700 sq.ft. high tunnels, and fully equipped 2700 sq. ft. greenhouse.
You can check out more about us at www.byfaithfarm.com! If you think you are the right fit, we’d love to hear from you! For bonus points, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us more about YOU and mentioning where you heard about us and your favorite crop to grow.