Name: Paul Huber
Job location: Madison, Wisconsin
Business name: Rooted
Job/volunteer description: ABOUT TROY FARM
Troy Farm is a project of Rooted and includes 3+ acres of field and greenhouse production of certified organic diversified vegetables, fruits, herbs, and flowers. The farm has been growing certified organic vegetables on Madison’s Northside since 2001, and we are proud to be one of the city’s oldest urban farms. Troy Farm sells produce to the community at our on-site farm stand on Thursday evenings and at the Northside Farmers’ Market on Sunday mornings. Much of our produce is sold to members through farm memberships–including discounted membership for qualifying members–similar to a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. Troy Farm produce is also distributed to nearby neighborhood centers where it is available cost-free to community members. Troy Farm also collaborates with local grower organizations on the land, hosts community education events, and partners with local chefs to host Thursday night community meals.
This is a seasonal job spanning from March 13, 2023 – November 17, 2023. The Assistant Farm Manager leads and trains crew members and volunteers on the farm and works with the Farm Director and Farm Manager to make plans, set priorities, and accomplish the farm’s production goals. Troy Farm uses hoophouses, greenhouses, hand tools, a two-wheel tractor, and a four-wheel tractor to grow a wide range of crops. The Assistant Farm Manager will help manage 2-3 full season crew members, and 5-7 summer crew members, as well as a large group of both regular and one-time volunteers who help with the daily tasks of the farm.
This position reports to the Farm Director.
OVFM APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM PARTICIPATION
Rooted partners with the Organic Vegetable Farm Manager (OVFM) Apprenticeship Program as a host site. This position is eligible to participate in the 2-year apprenticeship program. To learn more about the OVFM Apprenticeship Program, please contact Sarah Janes Ugoretz (she/her), OVFM Apprenticeship Program Manager at 608-226-0300 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://www.csacoalition.org/apprenticeship.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Help manage and perform in-field operations such as tillage, planting, cultivation, and harvesting.
• Help manage and perform greenhouse operations, such as seedling and in-ground production.
• Help manage post-harvest operations, such as washing, packing, and delivery.
• Keep production records, including harvest records, field work logs, and equipment maintenance.
• Help implement and market Troy Farm’s social enterprises, including direct-to-consumer sales, on-farm events, social media, newsletter communication, and annual plant sale.
• Ensure that farm organic certification and food safety requirements are met and maintained.
• Attend morning meetings and weekly field walks.
• Help set farm priorities as part of an integrated farm management team.
• Manage and train farm crew in all aspects of production and processing.
• Conduct regular farm crew check in conversations with the farm manager.
• Act as an ambassador of Rooted through effective communication of the organization’s mission and programs.
• Assist other programs with tasks as needed.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• 1-2 seasons experience in vegetable growing or similar experience.
• Organizational and communication skills and an ability to follow through on commitments, responsibilities, and tasks.
• Ability to operate farm equipment, including a 16 ft. box truck, four-wheel tractor, and two-wheel tractor, or willingness to learn.
• Ability and willingness to work in all weather conditions.
• Experience working with diverse groups of people in community settings.
• Experience supervising employees and/or volunteers.
• Commitment to mission and values of Rooted, including social justice and racial equity.
• Ability to engage in critical conversations about identity and culture and the ways that they intersect with farming.
• Interest in learning about farming and being part of a learning community.
• At times, there may be a need to work in inclement weather and/or to adjust work hours to accommodate the weather.
• Provide a copy of a valid ID.
• Have reliable transportation to and from Troy Farm, which is located on the 22 bus line.
• Willingness and ability to work some weekend and evening hours.
• Ability to pass a standard background check.
• This position is FLSA Non-Exempt, full time (40 hrs/wk).
• This is a seasonal job spanning from March 13, 2023 – November 17, 2023.
• The pay rate is $15-$16/hr, depending on experience.
• The Assistant Farm Manager receives a $600 membership credit at the Troy Farm stand, $200 fall share, and a $50 gear stipend.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants may apply online here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScyczu3C-CDemMCYGMg52iy6tbQyT87TlKOA3hs1GLqbz-EHA/viewform
or may email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Cover letter and resume may also be mailed to:
2702 International Lane, Suite 200
Madison, WI 53704
For a paper application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (608)-240-0409. For priority consideration, apply by February 8, 2023. Applicants may apply after this date. Positions are open until filled.
Salary: is $15-$16/hr, depending on experience