Sweet and Tangy Herbed Cabbage Salad
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage green, red, savoy, and/or Napa
- 1 cup loosely packed herb such as parsley, cilantro, or dill
- Other thinly sliced vegetables fruits, or nuts of your choice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly slice the cabbage, and any other vegetable such as carrots or peppers that you have on hand. Chop the herbs. Toss all together in a large bowl.
- For the dressing, combine the oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Whisk in a bowl, or put in a screw-top jar and shake well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate. Toss again before serving.
There are as many variations of coleslaw as there are cooks, so feel free to adapt this recipe according to your tastes, and what’s in your refrigerator. Start with sliced or grated cabbage, then add a spicy salad green such as arugula or mizuna, an herb (dill, parsley, cilantro, or mint), and some chopped vegetables (carrots, cucumbers, onions, peppers – sweet or hot). If you want to go all out, add some fruit (apples, oranges, mango, grapes), toasted nuts (peanuts, cashews), and meat (grilled chicken or shrimp)—and you’ll have a healthy, delicious meal-in-a-bowl. NOTES: Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish.