Breakfast can easily be one of the most creative meals of the day; if you have time for it that is. Most people however don’t have time for a nice sit-down breakfast with their family. That doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy typical breakfast food at other times of the day!
This week’s Kid’s Kits shows that a fun, family dinner can be a perfect time to roast some local veggies, scramble some delicious fresh eggs, and enjoy breakfast for dinner! Roasting a variety of vegetables is also a great way to get kids to try new veggies and can always serve as a “refrigerator clean-out” meal when you’ve got a lot of random things left to use.
Breakfast Eggs & Potatoes
- medium knife
- Cutting Board
- Baking Sheet or large glass casserole dish
- (optional) medium bowl
- (optional) Whisk
- (optional) Skillet (saute pan)
- (optional) Wooden spoon (or spatula)
- 4 Local eggs (or one egg per person)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 lbs local potatoes (about 4-5 fist-sized potatoes)
- 1 local yellow onion
- 1 parsnip or rutabaga
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary or parsley (1-2 tsp dried rosemary or 2-4 tsp dried parsley)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Peel and mince (finely chop) the garlic cloves. You can also use a garlic press if you have one.
- Scrub root veggies to remove dirt and/or peel them.
- Cut the potatoes, parsnip, rutabaga, carrots and onion into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces; place them in a medium-sized bowl with the minced garlic.
- Toss veggies with olive oil then season the potatoes with salt, pepper, rosemary, paprika and toss again.
- Place the seasoned potatoes and veggies on a baking sheet or casserole dish and bake for about 20 minutes, or until they are soft and starting to brown, stir carefully at least once.
- Crack as many eggs as your family need into a bowl, add a pinch of salt and pepper, and whisk together. Or, if your family doesn't care for scrambled eggs, prepare them your favorite way!
- Serve eggs with roasted vegetables; top with salsa, green onions, hot sauce or your favorite condiment and eat!