When we think of summer gardens, we think tomatoes and peppers. In this wonderful recipe made by Chef Ann, she takes our favorite summer garden vegetables and turns them into a delicious pizza! This pizza can be a snack or a small meal. It is quick and easy to make, and uses a simple list of equipment and ingredients.
This recipe was originally developed as part of our Kids Kits 2021 program, with financial support from Community Foundation of East Central Illinois and Office of the Illinois State Treasurer Michael Frerichs.
- Cutting Board
- Medium (non-stick) Skillet or Saucepan
- Sheet Pan
- Spatula or Spoon
- 1 piece naan
- 1 tomato
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Carmen pepper can substitute bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 bag shredded mozzarella can substitute mozzarella slices or pearls
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Chop 1/2 of the onion, the Carmen pepper, and 2 cloves of garlic into small chunks
- Add a small amount of oil to a medium (non-stick) skillet or sauce pan set to medium heat. Once the oil is warm and coats the bottom of the skillet, add the chopped onion, 1/2 of the chopped Carmen pepper, and the chopped garlic. Sauté or fry.
- While the onion, pepper, and garlic sauté, chop 1/2 of the tomato into small chunks and slice the other 1/2 of the tomato.
- Once the onion and pepper have softened and are golden in color, add the chopped tomato and tomato sauce to the skillet. Turn the skillet heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, turn the heat off on the skillet.
- Spread the finished pizza sauce on top of the naan. Add the tomato slices and remaining chopped pepper on top of the sauce on the naan. Top with shredded mozzarella.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starting to appear golden brown on top.