This month’s Kids Kits recipe comes to you from Florosophy Farm. They shares their family favorite snack: Mediterranean Tomato Toast!
Special thanks to our local business friends this month:
And a special thanks to our Kids Kits sponsor for this month:
Mediterranean Tomato Toast
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 Serrated plastic knife
- 1 Spoon for stirring
- 1 Oven-safe dish
- 1 Oven
- 1 Refrigerator or freezer optional
- 1 Sharp knife optional
- 1 pint cherry or small tomatoes
- 1-3 garlic cloves minced or smashed
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper
- 2 tsp fresh thyme stems removed
- 1 tsp Za'atar seasoning
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1-2 pita or other bread
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place tomatoes whole or halved (or a mix) in a large bowl. Add garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and seasoning. Drizzle with olive oil and mix well.
- Transfer the contents of the bowl to an oven-safe dish. Spread the tomato mixture into one single layer.
- Roast in heated oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Some ovens are a little faster or slower. Tomatoes should reduce in volume by half and be soft and “smooshy."
- Remove from heat and cool while you lightly toast pita or bread of your choice. Spread tomato mixture on your bread and sprinkle with cheese, then enjoy!
- You can double or triple this recipe to make extra to store! Bigger tomatoes should be cut into small marble sizes. Sometimes bigger recipe amounts or very juicy tomatoes need to roast for longer at a lower 400 F temperature.
- How to store: Do not add the cheese if you plan to store the roasted tomatoes for later. Freeze your roasted tomatoes in freezer bags after squeezing the air out and flattening.
- Other uses: Roasted tomatoes are a great way to have the flavor of summer tomatoes year round for summer bounty prices. Use different spices to create tomatoes for anything from spaghetti to salsa.